Add this sauce to your favorite veggies, whole wheat pasta, or protein for extra Italian flavor!
Yields 7 cups
- 2 28-ounce cans plain chopped tomatoes in their liquid
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, oregano, basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir constantly until the sauce begins to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 min to 1 hour, stirring often to prevent the sauce on the bottom of the pot from burning.