Try this easy recipe! Make extra for extra on the go meals during the week!
Total Prep and cooking time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground turkey (or leftover turkey meat, chopped)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (or already minced garlic in can)
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 15oz. cans red kidney beans ( bean of choice)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you like spice)
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano, crumbled
- ½ tsp ground white or black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In any large heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil and brown the turkey over high heat for 5 min to get a brown and flavorful crust and medium heat to cook throughout. Remove turkey from pot and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the onions and garlic and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add about ½ chicken stock and use a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula to loosen all the flavored bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the tomatoes and the browned turkey. Cook for a minute, add the beans, seasonings (but not the salt) and the remaining stock.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chili has thickened, stirring occasionally. If the chili thickens too much, adjust the consistency with a bit more stock.